Compiled by PB Floyd
It’s getting to be summer traveling season. Here are some spaces you can visit. Each infoshop is the culmination of tons of volunteer energy, community inspiration and love. Support these spaces with your time & money!
Each year we publish a list of spaces in our Organizer, going to press in August. So by April, with new spaces opening and old ones closing, the list is pretty out-of-date. These corrections and additions add to the list of corrections we published in issues #92 and #93. Because we are computer idiots, we haven’t updated our on-line radical contact list for over a year, so ironically, the list we published in the organizer (in August 06) is better than what is on-line, and these in-print updates are more up-to-date than either our on-line list or the organizer. Some day we’ll get into the computer age and fix the on-line list. Sorry.
Action for Community in Raleigh – Raleigh, NC
ACRe has a zine library, bike project, skill shares, cooking for Food Not Bombs, meeting space, urban gardening and more. They’re located at 2419 Mayview St. Raleigh, NC 27607 (919) 341-8263 raleighaction.org
City Heights Free Skool – San Diego, CA
They operate a free skool and have a permanent location featuring a library, free internet access, bike shop, and meeting/event space. Check out 4246 Wightman San Diego, CA 92105 619-528-8060, cityheightsfreeskool.org
Sky Dragon Center – Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
A food co-op with space for artists, radical films and a farmer’s market that is involved in local green and anti-sprawl activities. We’re told it is a “hub for many different facets of radical people” in Hamilton. Check them out at 27 King William St, Hamilton, ON, Canada, L8N 1A3, (905) 777-8102, www.skydragon.org
GlobalAware CounterSpace – Toronto, Ontario, Canada
They just opened a gallery and shop. 19 Kensington Avenue Kensington Market Toronto, ON M5T 2J8, 416 204 1984 www.GlobalAware.org
Places just getting going
• Folks in Philadelphia are working on starting the Heartsville Community Space – they want to open a space with a library, internet access and a meeting room open for educational events by the summer. Contact them at PO Box 5917, Phili, PA 19137. 215-279-6420
Places that have closed
• Rebel Books in Wilmington, NC is gone.
• Castle Olympus in Columbia, SC is closed.
• The Boiling Point space in Charlotte, NC is no longer running.
• We got mail returned from the Clandestinos Collective in Denver and thus think they may no longer exist. Let us know if you have info.
• The Wildcat Infoshop in Lexignton, KY was shut down by fire marshals/police and then
evicted by the landlord.
• The 908 Collective Space in Fort Collins CO, is shut down.