People all over the world wrote in to tell us about new infoshops and radical spaces we should list in the 2007 Slingshot Organizer. No sooner had we typed in all the information and taken the Organizer off to the printing press than a bunch more people contacted us with more information — which will have to wait for the 2008 Organizer.
We’re always looking for information about new spaces or changes to existing places so that people traveling around can find places and so activists can network informally to cooperate on projects. If you’re traveling around and find mistakes in info from us or find out about more places we can list, please let us know. We’re trying to post information we receive on our website: slingshot.tao.ca.
Jack Pine collective – Minneapolis, MN
A radical community center / free space / youth hangout. 2815 E. Lake St. Minneapolis, MN 55406, 612-729-2837, www.thejackpine.org.
Rocktown Infoshop & Freespace – Harrisonburg, VA
A new radical space, they feature an infoshop with books, CDs, zines, etc., a radical library and a free store. Open 1 pm – 4 pm Sun-Tues & Thursday and Fri-Sat. 12-6. 85 E. Elizabeth St. Harrisonburg, VA 22802 (540)437-0577
Castle Olympus – Columbia, SC
It is a new collective space with a free library and a show space. They host workshops and punk rock potluck picnics. 119 South Parker St. Columbia, SC 29201, 843-618-4759.
Belfry Center for Social and Cultural Activities – Minneapolis, MN
They are a new space with a book and zine library host the Bat Annex Free School. 3753 Bloomington Ave S., Minneapolis, MN 55407, 612-724-4293, belfrycenter.org.
Swords Into Plowshares Peace Center – Kalamazoo, MI
They tell us they are a “hub of youth activism and organizing in Kalamazoo, mostly serving Western Michigan University students.” 2101 Wilbur Kalamazoo, MI 49006 (269) 344-4076 Organize@KzooPeaceCenter.org
Mendocino Coast Environmental Ctr.
I was biking down the coast and happened upon this place in the very tourist-y city of Mendocino. The volunteer at the desk didn’t know the street address but it’s right on the main street. PO Box 1125, Mendocino, CA 95460, 707 937 -1035.
Sedition Collective – Houston, TX
They have a lending library, a small retail section, free broadband internet/wi-fi and a “free box,” as well as serving as a drug/alcohol-free hangout spot. They are open 4 pm – 7 pm, Wed-Thurs, 1-7 Sundays, and are available to be booked for meetings/events/etc. on Fridays and Saturdays. 4420 Washington Ave. Houston, TX 77007.
Media Island International Olympia WA
They host Food Not Bombs, Indy Media, have meetings space, computer access, a library and movies. 816 Adams St. SE, Olympia, WA 98501 360-352-8526.
Bikehouse – Salt Lake City, UT
A bike library open to travelers and radicals. 519 E. 600 S. Salt Lake City, UT 84102.
People traveling around sent us lots of new international contacts – we don’t always have a lot of information about what they are precisely. Hopefully someone will visit these places and give us info about what they are.
Biblioteca Social Reconstruir – Mexico City
Someone wrote in to say they’re not gone – they’re just moving. They are at Dolores #16 Despacho 401 near the Bella Artes metro station. Not sure of the postal code or phone.
Biblioteca Social Praxedis G. Guerrero
A cool new space. Open Wednesdays and Fridays 4-8 pm at Gobernador Curiel 2133, colonia ferrocarril, Guadalajara, Jalisco. firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ernst Kirchweger Haus – Vienna, Austria
An awesome autonomous center/squat with an infoshop. Wielandgasse 2-4/A-1100 Wien/Austria, www.med-user.net/infomaden
Infoshoppe kasama – Zurich Switzerland
An infoshop (?) at militarstrasse 87a Zurich Switzerland
Centre internationale de recherches sur l’Anarchisma – Switzerland
An infoshop (?) at Beaumont 24 Lausanne 1012 Switz.
Infoladen Rabia – Switzerland
An infoshop (?) at Bachtelstr. 70 Winterthur 8400 Switz.
KTS – Freiburg, Germany
An infoshop (?) at Baslerstr. 103 79100 Freiburg Germany
Krtkova Kolona – Czech Republic
An infoshop and cafe that has been open since 2001. Socharska 6, 170 00 Praha 7 Tel: +420 604 247 218.
Alternative Information Center – West Bank, Palestine
An infoshop (?) at Building 111 Main Street – Beit Sahour, occupied Palestine – 00972-2-2775444
Alternative Information Center – Israel
An infoshop at Queen Shlomzion Street 4 (2nd floor) – West Jerusalem PO Box 31417, Israel – 00972-2-6241159, alternativenews.org/
Daila – Israel
An infoshop (?) at Queen Shlomzion 4, West Jerusalem, Israel, www.dailazoo.net/
Young Communist League of Israel
An infoshop (?) at Koresh 14, entrance 5, apartment 8, West Jerusalem, Israel, www.banki-shabiba.net
Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions
An infoshop (?) at Ben-Yehuda 7, West Jerusalem, Israel, www.icahd.org/eng/
Kafé44 – Stockholm, Sweden
An infoshop and coffeehouse. Tjarhovsgatan 44, Metro; T-Medborgarplatsen, Stockholm, Sweden, +46-8-6445312 email@example.com
Anchor Archive Zine Library – Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
They are a year-old zine library. Check ‘em out: 5684 Roberts St. Halifax, NS. B3K 1J6 Canada. 902-446-1788.
Changes / mistakes in 2006 organizer
• The Urbana-Champaign IMC is now at 202 South Broadway, Suite 100 Urbana, IL 61801, 217-344-8820
• Third space in Norman, OK has a new phone #: 405-307-8379.
• Mat Hatters Infoshop in Danbury, CT has closed.
• Behind the Rocks Infoshop in Hartford, CT closed.
• Burning River Infoshop in Cleveland wrote in to say they are, in fact, gone but folks can contact the following addresses in Cleveland: Cleveland Anarchist Black Cross, PO Box 602543, Cleveland, OH, 44102 or FNB at firstname.lastname@example.org. A new infoshop is scheduled to open in January, 2006.
• Black Star Books in New Zealand has new information: their new address is Corso Building, 111 Moray Place, Dunedin, New Zealand. Their postal address remains the same (p.o. Box 812 Dunedin, New Zealand). Their contact email address is now email@example.com and website firstname.lastname@example.org
Changes / mistakes in 2007 organizer
• We printed the wrong phone # and postal code for Haymarket Books and Cafe in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. The correct info is T2G 2M8, 403 -234-0260. The street address published is correct.
• The address for Utopia Infoshop in Prague has changed to Karlova 25, Praha 1, Czech Republic. Note: someone from the Czech Republic wrote to say they had “changed their politics” and shouldn’t be listed anymore – other communications from Europe didn’t agree.
• Someone wrote to say that the La Comuna Libertaria in Guadalajara is not really operational anymore.
• Better than Television in Charlottesville, VA does not appear to exist anymore – we have had mail returned from them and their phone number is disconnected.