Compiled by Jesse D. Palmer
Here are some new radical spaces you can visit that are not listed in the 2014 Organizer, plus some updates. These spaces are opened and kept going by folks everywhere to provide physical expressions of the world we seek — organized around cooperation, pleasure and freedom rather than greed, standardization and control. We’re going to update the entire radical contact list this summer when we publish the 2015 Organizer, so let us know if there is a space near you that isn’t on our radar. By the way, the on-line version of the radical contact list has been broken due to a computer problem and therefore has not been updated since last summer but we are hoping to fix it: slingshot.tao.ca. Happy travels this summer!
The Grease Diner – Oakland, CA
An art gallery and zine shop that has an open DIY silk screening studio. 6604 San Pablo Ave. Oakland, CA 94608. 510 379-0190 thegreasediner.com
Guide to Kulchur – Cleveland, OH
A book and zine shop that hosts events, meetings and Cleveland Books to Prisoners. 1386 W. 65th St, Cleveland, OH 44102 guidetokulchurcleveland.com
Sovversiva Open Space – Montpelier, VT
A community space with a zine library, books, free coffee/tea, a computer, and art supplies that hosts events. They share space with a collective bike shop called Freeride. Open Mondays and other times. 89 Barre St. Montpelier, VT 05602 www.radspacemontpelier.wordpress.com
Shameless Grounds – St. Louis, MO
A sex positive coffee shop with a sex-oriented library shop that hosts radical sex-oriented events. 1901 Withnell Ave Saint Louis, MO 63118 314-449-1240. shamelessgrounds.com
EarthDance farms – Ferguson, MO
An organic farm/school that encourages art, music, resource sharing, and community building around food production and sustainability. They have an artist in residence program, library, classes and volunteer opportunities. 233 S. Dade Ave. Ferguson, MO 63135 314-521-1006 earthdancefarms.org
IntegreTea – Vallejo, CA
A tea shop that hosts a zine library and art space. 717 Marin Street, Vallejo, CA 94590
Time’s Up! – New York, NY
A bicycle direct action/advocacy non-profit that has a space where you can fix your own bike. 99 South 6th Street Brooklyn, NY 11211 212-802-8222. times-up.org
A Place for Sustainable Living – Oakland, CA
A green center that promotes sustainable living, social justice and art with a garden, bike shop, art barn and exhibits about graywater, compost and renewable energy. They host workshops and peformances. 1121 64th Street Oakland, CA 94608 aplaceforsustainableliving.org
Peace Resource Center – Seaside, CA They have a lending library, computers and host movies and events. 1364 Fremont, Seaside, CA 93955 831-899-7322 peacecentral.wordpress.com
Ollin Calli– Tijuana, Mexico
A worker-advocacy group that leads tours of maquiladoras and has workshops. Pasaje Gómez Local 2025 Tijuana B.C. 22000 664-1902586
Horn of Plenty Community Centre – Reservoir, Australia
They have a library, bike workshop, community garden and host events, music and art. Open Friday & Saturday. 659 Plenty Road Reservoir, VIC 3073 Australia
Bombs and Candies Infolibrary – Philippines
An infoshop with a library. Blk 24 Lot 51 Phase 1 Ciudad Adelina Brgy. Conchu, Trece Martirez City Cavite, Philippines 4109, phone: +639 096028849 firstname.lastname@example.org
Changes to the 2014 Slingshot Organizer
• The Clear Creek Coop has moved to 3722 Pinehurst Dr. Richmond IN 47374.
• The physical address for the Earth First! Journal (1307 Central Terrace) is no longer valid. Their mailing address (PO Box 964 Lake Worth, FL 33460) is still valid. The phone is now 561-320-3840, not the one published in the organizer.
• The Roosevelt 2.0 in Tampa, FL is no longer at that address. They are trying to open a new location in Myakka City, FL.
• Iron Rail in New Orleans has closed.
• Centro Social CCC in San Juan Puerto Rico has closed
• Mondragon books in Winnipeg, Manitoba has closed.
• The Bloom Collective in Grand Rapids, MI is no longer around.
• The Holdout in Oakland is now called Qilombo and the website is now qilombo.org.
• The Bike City Recylcery in Fayetteville, AR may no longer be there. We got mail returned from them and other contact info doesn’t work.