Here are additions and corrections to the list of radical spaces published in the 2011 Slingshot organizer. The definition of a radical space is necessarily rough and imprecise — it can include infoshops with activist resources, bike workshops, alternative all-volunteer show spaces, and other physical spaces seeking to build community and promote social change, rather than just seeking to make a buck. Many people are creating new spaces like this all the time because we know a different kind of world is possible — one organized on ecologically sustainable grounds to promote pleasure, beauty and freedom through cooperation between many different kinds of people. Check out these spaces and let us know if you know of more spaces we should list, or if you have found errors in the Organizer.
Harmony House – Lincoln, NE
An child-friendly urban homestead with a radical feminist library and a focus on community herbalism and permaculture. 320 C St. Lincoln, NE 68502, 402-438-4880
Boneshaker Books – Minneapolis, MN
A new all-volunteer radical bookstore featuring bicycle delivery. Some folks from the recently closed Arise Books have worked to open the new space. 2002 23rd Ave. S., Minneapolis, MN 55404, 612-871-7110
Bike Works – Silver City, NM
A community bike work space with tools to fix your bike. They also sponsor a free yellow bike program. 815 E. 10th, Silver City, NM 88061
River West Public House Co-op – Milwaukee, WI
A new community owned bar opening this spring with profits going to start more cooperatives in town. 815 E Locust St. Milwaukee, WI 53212 Riverwestpublichouse.org
Ex Nihilo Infoshop – Lancaster, CA
They have a lending library, free store, space for events and a music venue. They want to start a free skool. 43302 45th St. West, Lancaster, CA 93536
IWW Headquarters & Infoshop – Chicago, IL
Industrial Workers of the World (Wobblies) storefront. 2117 W. Irving Park Rd., Chicago, IL, 60618.
Black Hand – Richmond, VA
Activist house that hosts radical mental health events. 3112 Woodcliff Avenue, Richmond, VA 23222 (804) 334-2203
Hub Bike Co-op – Minneapolis, MN
A worker owned bike co-op with two locations, one of which has a DIY bike repair room and sells used parts. They also provide classes. 3020 Minnehaha Ave. Minneapolis, MN 55406 612-729-0437 or 301 Cedar Ave S. thehubbikecoop.org
Etnikobandido Infoshop – Pasig City Phillippines
They have a library and host films, workshops and Food Not Bombs. They are seeking literature and donations. 157 Ilaya E.Mendoza St.Buting Pasig City 1600, firstname.lastname@example.org
Glassfabriken – Malmö, Sweden
A cultural center with meeting space, a vegetarian cafe featuring workshops, films study groups, art and music. Kristianstadsgatan 16, Malmö, www.glassfabriken.net
Utkanten – Malmö, Sweden
An open space for alternative cultural, social and political activities, “free from the capitalistic and static society that has invaded and corrupted our lives and tries to smash all our dreams and hopes that anything ever could be different than the present.” Industrigatan 20, Malmö, www.utkanten.net
Hallongrottan – Stockholm, Sweden
A queer, feminist, anticapitalist bookstore and hangout. Bergsundsgatan 25, 117 37 Stockholm Sweden, +46(0)8-658 13 20 www.hallongrottan.com
Info and record shop ROMP – Luzern, Switzerland
They publish a cool looking zine. Steinenstrasse 17, P.O. Box 6633, 6000 Luzern 6, Switzerland, www.romp.ch
AZ Aachen – Germany
An autonomous Center that offers shows, movies, art exhibits and has a bar. Vereinstr. 25, D-52062 Aachen, Germany
Infoladen Aachen – Germany
An infoshop with a library and vegan food on Fridays. Stephanstraße 24, 52064 Aachen, Germany
Organization of Permaculture and Art – Salvador, Brazil
An art / theater project. Rua do Passo, 62, Bairro Santo Antonio, 40030-020, Salvador, BA, Brazil, 55 (71) 3241-6204, www.opabrasil.org
Corrections to the 2011 Organizer
• Backroom Books has a new address: 750 W. Wyeth St, Pocatello, ID 83204
• The Baltimore Free Farm has a new snail mail address and website: 3510 Ash St., Baltimore, MD 21211, www.baltimorefreefarm.org. They got a warehouse across from the garden.
• Third Space at 783 Debarr Ave in Norman, Oklahoma got closed down on short notice for “fire hazards”.
• The Mopery in Chicago, IL has closed.
• Bad Egg Books in Eugene, OR has moved out of their space and temporarily into storage.
• The Black Cherry in Toledo, OH has shut down indefinitely; it may re-open in the future under new management, or maybe not.
• The Catalyst Infoshop in Prescott, AZ lost their space, then found a space, and then the landlord lost the new space to foreclosure after a few months. They are looking for a new spot.
• Free Radicals at 803 Railroad Ave. Tallahassee, FL no longer exists. It has been replaced by The Farside, a collectively run music venue.
• The address we published for Centro de Media Libres – 34a Actopan in Mexico City may be a walking direction, but it is not a postal address – the postal service wrote to tell us that the address doesn’t exist. If you have a better address, let us know what it is.
• Kulturhuset Underjorden/SPATT in Gothenburg Sweden is not dead: their current address is Brahegatan 11 Göteborg, email@example.com, 0704734386
• Blackhole212 in Singapore closed its space. They still exist as a collective and hope to open a new space; if you are in Singapore, the phone #s listed in the 2011 organizer still work to contact them; remember +65 in front. Check: www.blackhole212.wordpress.com
• The Acclaim Collective in Tokyo has changed their address. It now is: 2-39-2-103, Sangenjaya Setagaya-ku, Tokyo 154-0024, Japan
• The Associação Cultural Quilombo Cecília in Salvador, Brazil no longer is at the address listed.
We got packages that we mailed out returned from the following places – we don’t know if that means they are gone or if they just didn’t want to pick stuff up from the post office. If you know, let us know – we’ll try to check when we publish the 2012 organizer:
• Franklin House, Charles, MO
• Confluence Books, Grand Junction, CO
• Blast-O-Matt, Denver, CO
• Furnace Infoshop, Albany, NY
• EarthDiver Book collective, Oshkosh, WI
• Espaco Improprio, Sau Paulo, Brazil.